​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​In Australia, you are required to pay tax on your income. If you intend to live in Australia permanently, you are considered an Australian resident for tax purposes. This means that:

  • you must declare all your income in your tax return;

  • you can claim the benefits of the Australian tax system, such as: 

    • ​the tax-free threshold;

    • ​tax offsets; and

    • ​generally lower tax rates than a foreign resident.

A tax file number assists the Australian Tax Office to administer tax. You are not required to have a tax file number but if you don’t have one, you may have more tax withheld from your salary than you need to. To apply online for a tax file number and for more information on salary taxation, visit the
Australian Taxation Office website​.​  ​


You may wish to engage an accountant in W​​​​​​​estern Australia to help you manage your financial affairs. The accountant will be able to provide professional advice on all taxation issues and identify the information and documentation you need to bring to Australia.

You can find a list of accountants from:

​CPA Australia

T: 1300 73 73 73 (from within Australia)

T: +61 3 9606 9677 (from outside Australia)

W: cp​​aaustralia.com.au  

Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia

T: 1300 13 73 22 (from within Australia) 

T: +61 2 9290 5660 (from outside Australia)

E: service@charteredaccountantsanz.com​

W: charteredaccountantsanz.com​