To ensure you are adequately prepared for your arrival into Australia, it is essential that you organise your personal documents. Originals or certified copies of documents (that relate to you and your family) are required. Documents may include:​

  • birth certificates;

  • character references;

  • children’s school reports;

  • driver’s licence;

  • family medical records (ie vaccination documentation);

  • marriage certificate;

  • references from previous landlords;

  • taxation documentation;

  • trade qualifications;

  • university and other educational certificates; and

  • work references.​

Translation of documents

Free translation service

If any of your personal documents are not written in English, you will need to have summaries/extracts of them translated into English.

If you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or hold one of the following temporary visas, the Department of Social Services may be able to provide this service for you free of charge​:

  • Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309);

  • Partner (Temporary) visa (subclass 820);

  • Dependent Child visa (subclass 445);

  • Temporary Humanitarian Stay visa (subclass 449)

  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (subclass 786); and

  • Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785).

To be eligible, you must request this service within two years of your arrival in Australia or from the date on which your visa was granted – whichever is the later. 

You can lodge your application at any Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provider in Australia. ​

AMEP providers in Western Australia are:

​​North Metropolitan TAFE​
25 Aberdeen Street
Northbridge WA 6003

T: +61 8 9427 1377
(from outside Australia)

Freecall: 1300 300 822
(from within Australia)

E: enquiry@nmtafe.wa.edu.au​

W: northmetrotafe.wa.edu.au/

​South Metropolitan TAFE
1 Fleet Street
Fremantle WA 6160

T: +61 8 9239 8200
(from outside Australia)

Freecall: 1800 001 001
(from within Australia)

E: info@smtafe.wa.edu.au​

​W: southmetrotafe.wa.edu.au/

You can get more information about this service from:

​Department of Social Services 

​W: dss.gov.au

​Department of Immigration and
Border Protection 

Translating and
Interpreting Service (TIS)

T: 13 14 50 (from within Australia)​​

W: tisnational.gov.au

Visit their Contact us​ page.

​Paid translation service

If you are not eligible for the free service above or you have other documents that need to be translated, you can contact:

National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

The local Perth office is at:

Unit 3
Level 2
50 Oxford Close
West Leederville WA 6007 

T: +61 8 9380 6330 (from outside Australia)

F: +61 8 9380 6339 (from outside Australia)

E: info@naati.com.au​

W: naati.com.au​ 

Office hours are from 8.30 am to 12.30 pm Monday to Friday.​