Image of the Migration Services office in Forrest Place

FAQ - Have you tried...

+ What is an overseas qualifications assessment?

The Overseas Qualifications Unit uses country education profiles developed by the Department of Education and Training to compare studies undertaken overseas with the Australian Qualification Framework. Our assessments are for general purposes and may assist you with applications for further studies and/or employment.

+ Who can apply?

You can apply for an assessment if you meet the following criteria.

(a) You live in Western Australia and are one of the following:

• an Australian citizen;
• a New Zealand citizen;
• a permanent resident of Australia – this includes spouses, dependants and secondary visa holders including visa subclass 309, 310, 785 and 820; or
• a temporary resident with permission to work or study in Western Australia.

(b) You have completed a formal tertiary or technical qualification such as a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or diploma.

(c) Your qualification was completed in a country listed in the Country Education Profiles.

+ What supporting documents do I need to supply?

You are required to send by email clear and legible scanned copies of the following documents.

• Passport (photo + signature page) or Australian Citizenship certificate, visa (label in passport) or written permission to access electronic visa details via VEVO;
• diploma or degree certificate;
• academic transcripts (student book or marks sheets) – a report from your institution with information on examinations/courses completed, credits and grades/score for all years of study;
• translations of all documents (you can find out more about what translations are accepted and where to get documentation translated elsewhere in the FAQ section); and
• proof of name change if required – eg: Marriage or Deed Poll Certificate.

Please note:
• All documents must be certified.
• Documents not written in English must come with translations from approved translators.
• All documents must be provided as PDF files.

+ What qualifications cannot be assessed?

Australian qualifications

Incomplete qualifications
OQU are unable to assess incomplete qualifications, even if you have been given a statement of completed courses/subjects. Short courses (less than one year)

Single subject certificates, for example, Certificates of Unit Credit or word-processing cannot be assessed.

Professional registration or membership
This is generally gained on passing examinations of a professional body, with the exception of a limited number of accounting, management, banking and secretarial qualifications. Contact the OQU for further information if your qualification fits into this category.

Secondary school qualifications
For the assessment of secondary qualifications please contact the Department of Education.
email Click to Email
phone Click to Phone
25 September 2018

New graduate stream for State nomination now available

A new graduate stream is now available for Western Australian State nomination.

The new stream is available to eligible university graduates who have studied for at least two years in Western Australia at a Western Australian university, and have an available occupation on the new Graduate occupation list for the intended visa subclass.

Visit the State nomination requirements page for more information and the full list of requirements you must meet in order to be eligible for this stream.
Fun Fact
Aboriginal art – There are more than 10 000 ancient rock engravings, some dating back 10 000 years at the Burrup Peninsula, Dampier, Western Australia.