Need help with an overseas qualification assessment?

Q: The website states that my application will be processed within 20 working days, it has now been more than 20 working days, why have I not received an outcome?

The processing time refers to the completion of a 'decision ready' application. Decision ready means that you have provided all of the documentation required for Migration Services to complete an assessment of your application. If Migration Services requests further information from you in order to support your application, then your application will not be deemed decision ready until all the required information has been provided. This may delay the processing of your application. Once your application is decision ready, it will be assessed and a final outcome will be issued within 20 working days.


Q: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Which qualifications cannot be assessed?

  • ​Australian qualifications 
  • Incomplete qualifications  even if you have been given a statement of completed courses/subjects
  • Short courses and single subject certificates, such as certificates of unit credit or word processing
  • Professional registration or membership generally gained on having passed examinations of a professional body  Contact us​​ if your qualification fits into this category
  • Secondary school qualifications. (For more information, visit the School Curriculum and Standards Authority website.)


Q: I don't have a copy (and won't be able to get a copy) of my award certificate / academic transcripts, can my qualification still be assessed?

Yes, in some cases. If you are unable to supply your award certificate / academic transcripts you will need to provide a signed statutory declaration, and include the following information:

  • The qualification awarded
  • Year awarded
  • the number of years of study
  • whether the study was taken full-time or part-time
  • why you are unable to provide the original document

Download a statutory declaration form

This will be included as part of your application, and will be considered by Migration Services as a part of your assessment.


Q: How can I have my trade qualification assessed?

Trades Recognition Australia completes skills assessments for people who want to apply for a skilled visa from the Department of Home Affairs. For more information, visit the Trades Recognition Australia website​.


Q: Can I apply on behalf of another person?

Yes; however,​ you must attach a letter to the application signed by the person authorising you to act as their agent.


Q: Is there anything I can show my employer to explain what my overseas qualification assessment outcome means?

Yes; our Information for employers – Assessment of overseas qualifications fact sheet outlines the value of your assessment outcome and can be shown to your existing or potential employer.

Download the fact sheet.


Q: What happens if I don’t agree with my assessment outcome?

You can ask for a review. Email the Overseas Qulifications Unit (OQU) at oqu@dtwd.wa.gov.a​u​, making sure you include your contact details and reference number, and state why you disagree with your assessment outcome. Your assessment will be reviewed and you will be advised of the outcome. 


Q: What are certified copies of documents? 

A certified copy is a photocopied document that has been checked by a certifying person who confirms that it is a true copy of the original document. To have your documents certified, you will need to take the original document and a copy to a certifying person for signing.

Each copy of the original document (not copies of copies) must be certified separately and must show the following:

  • the words “certified true copy of the original”; 
  • the signature of the certifying officer; 
  • the name, address, contact telephone number, and designation of the certifying officer legibly printed below the signature; and 
  • an official stamp (where possible). 

Please note that the OQU must be able to contact the certifying person if needed. 


Q: Where do I get my documents certified within Australia?

In Western Australia, the following people can witness and certify copies of documents.

Aca​​demic (post-secondary institution)AccountantArchitect 
Australian consular officer Australian diplomatic officerBailiff
Bank managerChartered secretaryChemist
Chiropractor​Company auditor or liquidatorCourt officer (judge, magistrate, registrar or clerk) 
Defence force officer (Commissione​d, Warrant or NCO with five years continuous Commonwealth service)DentistDoctor
Electorate officer (State – WA only)EngineerIndustrial organisation secretary
Insurance brokerJustice of the Peace (any state)Lawyer
Local government CEO or deputy CEOLocal government councillorLoss adjuster
Marriage celebrantMember of Parliament (State or Commonwealth)Minister of religion
NurseOptometristPatent attorney 
Physiotherapist​ PodiatristPolice officer
Post officer managerPsychologistPublic servant (State or Commonwealth) 
Public notary Real estate agentSettlement agent
Sheriff or deputy sheriff SurveyorTeacher​ 
Tribunal officer
Veterinary surgeon 

No person under the age of 18 is allowed to be a witness.

Q: Where do I get my documents certified outside of Australia?

To have your copies certified outside of Australia, you may approach:

  • ​the awarding institution; 
  • any consulate; 
  • the Australian Education International (AEI) Section at the Australian Diplomatic Mission; or
  • the Ministry of Justice.


Q: What translations are accepted? 

All translations must be carried out by an accredited translator to be accepted.


Q: Where can I get documents translated within Australia?

People settling permanently in Australia can have up to ten eligible documents translated into English, within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date.   

Visit the Free Translating Service website for more information or to start an application online.

If you are not eligible for the free service, you can find an accredited translator in your area on the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters website

Q: Where can I get documents translated outside of Australia?

Translations must be provided on the organisation’s letterhead with an official stamp and the translator’s signature with their name and contact numbers legibly printed for contact by the OQU if necessary. Acceptable organisations are:

  • the awarding institution; or 
  • ​accredited translators in the country concerned.

Q: What is VEVO?

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)​ is an online facility developed by the Department of Home Affairs where organisations can confirm a person’s visa entitlements without having to refer to the visa grant letter or label in their passport.​​

If you have an electronic visa, you can give the OQU permission to access your visa details on VEVO. 


Q: What does it cost to have my overseas qualifications assessed?

This is a free service.


[Published on 24 June 2019]


OQU Application