​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Finding temporary accommodation


There are many short-term hotel/motel accommodation options in Perth and/or regional Western Australia (WA) ranging from three star hotels to five star resorts. Contact the Western Australian Visitor Centre​​ for more information.

T: 1800 812 808 (within Australia) or +61 8 9483 1111 (outside Australia)

E: travel@westernaustralia.com​ 

W: westernaustralia.com​



Apartments and townhouses can be rented for short-term or long-term periods. Many are fully furnished and include linen, towels, crockery, cutlery and cooking equipment. In some cases, a daily or weekly cleaning service may be provided.

Search online for apartments or townhouses.


Long-term accommodation

Perth and regional WA offer a variety of housing options – large family homes, townhouses, apartments, duplexes and villas.


Renting a property

Western Australia offers both fully furnished and unfurnished rental properties. 

Properties for rent are normally let through real estate agents or private landlords. They are usually advertised in the “To Let” section of The West Australian and The Sunday Times newspapers or on real estate websites such as the
Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA)​.  

Availability of rental properties tends to be seasonal with the highest demand for properties between November and March. You can arrange to inspect a property before you make the decision to move in.

To secure a property, you will pay a security bond usually a refundable deposit of four weeks' rent ​ plus two weeks' rent in advance. 

For more information on the documents you need to be able to secure a rental property, visit the frequently asked questions page of the REIWA website​ and click on 'Renting residential property'.

The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website provides information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Three information videos about renting a home are available (in several languages) for viewing.

Tenancy WA​ is a not-for-profit agency that provides free legal services to residential tenants across WA. 

View their Making an Appli​cation for a Rental Property​​ publication for some valuable information.


Buying a property

Most properties in WA are on freehold land and are generally sold through an offer and acceptance process. There is a trend currently towards buying and selling homes by auction, particularly high-end or luxury housing.

Properties are advertised for sale and are generally open for public inspection on weekends or by appointment during the week. 

Landgate (the State's official register of land ownership and survey information) has property sales reports which can help you monitor market trends. Visit the Landgate website​ for more information.

Permanent residents may be eligible for the Western Australian Government First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) which provides up to $10 000 towards the purchase of your first home in Australia. The grant is not subject to a means test; however, you or your partner cannot have previously owned a home in Australia. For more information and to find out if you qualify, visit the
Department of Finance website​.

Holders of temporary residency visas who want to buy residential property in Australia need the approval of the Foreign Investment Review Board​.


Where to find property for sale

  • newspapers, including:

® The West Australian – the Saturday edition real estate lift-out;

® The Sunday Times – the real estate lift-out; and

® community newspap​ers;

  • the REIWA website​​ which lists thousands of properties for sale and has advanced search facilities and features;
  • property magazines available from most real estate agencies; and
  • a general internet search.