​​​Perth has a modern, ine​xpensive public transport system incorporating trains, buses and ferries. There is also a free central area bus service, known as
Central Area Transit (CAT)​ which runs within the Perth central business district (CBD) and Fremantle and Joondalup city centres.

Perth city centre is very easy to get around either on foot or by bus or train with the metro area linked by an extensive freeway network and a substantial system of commuter railway lines and bus routes to the suburbs operated by Transperth.

You can buy travel cards (SmartRiders) from Transperth InfoCentres​ or any SmartRider retail outlet​. This is a good investment if you often travel on public transport as you can save yourself up to 25% on the standard rate. Visit the Transperth website​ for more detailed information. 

Typically though, people in Western Australia get around by car. 

In most cases, new migrants can use their overseas driving licence for a period of time before transferring to a WA driver’s licence. 

Visit the Department of Transport website​ for more information.

For information on public transport to and within regional Western Australia, visit the Transwa website​. ​