Need help with state nomination?

Q. I am subject to a section 48 bar. Can I apply for Western Australian State nomination?

No. If you are subject to a section 48 bar with the Department of Home Affairs, you are not eligible for Western Australian State nomination.

Q: Can I amend my Expression of Interest (EOI) in SkillSelect after I have been invited to apply for State nomination?

If your EOI is amended during the application process, resulting in a reduction of your points score and/or ranking, evidence must be provided to substantiate the points claimed in your EOI.

Q. I am applying for the Graduate stream and require two years of Western Australian study. Due to restrictions relating to COVID-19 I was required to complete some of my studies online. Can I use this towards my two years of study?

If, due to COVID-19, you were required to complete some of your studies online, you will need to show evidence that you were still enrolled as an onshore Western Australian student during this period.

Q: Am I eligible for the graduate stream if I have a vocational education and training (VET) qualification from Western Australia?

You may be eligible for the graduate stream if you gained a Certificate III level or above VET qualification in Western Australia and have completed two years study in Western Australia at an accredited Western Australian educational institution. Visit the Graduate stream requirements page for further information.

Q: For the graduate stream, what documents do I need to provide to show I have lived and studied in Western Australia for two years?

You will need to provide the following:

  • award certificate/s;

  • a record of your results, such as transcript/s or a statement of attainment showing two years full time study in Western Australia; and

  • a letter from your education provider confirming your study duration, study load, and your start and completion date. If you studied at multiple education providers to fulfil the two year study requirement, a letter must be provided from each education provider.

If you were studying under an Australian student visa, you will also need to provide:

  • confirmation of enrolment/s (COEs) and/or student visa grant notice for the duration of your two years of Western Australian study; and

  • if any study from your full-time course was completed at a reduced study load, evidence demonstrating this was approved by your awarding education provider. Study completed at a reduced study load due to credits for study completed outside of Western Australia is not eligible.

The education provider determines whether a course is full-time or part-time. The onus is on the applicant to provide evidence to show two years of living and studying in Western Australia.

Q: Can WA Migration Services help me with my application?

We can provide you with information about the State nomination application process and criteria, but we cannot help you with your application or provide migration advice. Legally, this can only be provided by a registered migration agent.

To find a registered migration agent, visit the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).​


Q: Why has my application not been processed within the advertised processing times? 

The processing time is for a 'decision ready' application. Decision ready means that you have provided all the documentation required for WA Migration Services to complete an assessment. If WA Migration Services asks for more information, then your application is not decision ready until all information is provided. This may delay the processing of your application. Once your application is decision ready, it will be assessed and a final outcome will be issued within the advertised processing time.

Q:  I need to provide an employment contract as part of my State nomination application what information should it include?

You will need to provide a scanned copy of your employment contract when you lodge your State nomination application. It must be for full time employment in your nominated (or closely related) occupation for the required duration. For the General stream, the contract must be for at least 12 months. For the Graduate stream, the contract must be for at least six (6) months. Full time employment is an average of at least 35 hours per week and you can provide two contracts to meet this requirement.

The contract must include:

  1. full names of ​both the employer and the employee;

  2. job title and related ANZSCO code;

  3. contract start date and end date (if permanent, only start date is required). It must state either 'full time permanency' or 'full time fixed term contract' with an end date. The start date must be within three months of your application date, if you have not yet started working;

  4. job description of the work to be performed by the employee;

  5. the terms and conditions of employment (include the position's salary, hours of work, leave entitlements, superannuation, among other things) that are no less favourable than those that would apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident doing equivalent work;

  6. location of employment;

  7. a statement that the work specified in the employment contract must be perform​ed by the employee and not contracted out to a third party;

  8. a signed and dated employment contract by the employer and employee and provided as one document; and

  9. must be drafted by the employer and not by the employee.

Q: I am already some months into my contract of employment. Can I use this for my application for State nomination?

You will need a contract of full time employment in Western Australia with a minimum of six or 12 months (depending on your stream) remaining on your contract at the time you apply for State nomination. This contract must be in your nominated (or closely related) occupation. 

For example, if you apply for State nomination through the General stream (and require a 12 month contract) on 1 January 2021, your employment contract end date must not be before 1 January 2022.

If you apply for State nomination through the Graduate stream (and require a six month contract) on 1 January 2021, your employment contract end date must not be before 1 July 2021.

Q: What factors will WA Migration Services consider when reviewing my employment contract?

The employment contract must show an agreement between the employer and employee and set out the terms and conditions of employment. Factors taken into consideration may include: 

  • a minimum salary is being paid;

  • the business employing you is genuine and operational in the location specified;

  • the job will be completed by you and not contracted out to a third party; and

  • as the employee you will bear no financial risk and be provided with the relevant tools and equipment to successfully undertake the tasks required.

Employment contracts submitted by an Independent contractor or those which demonstrate self-employment do not meet the above requirements and are not suitable to be submitted when applying for WA State nomination.

Employment contracts submitted by a Sole Trader will be considered in the following circumstances only:

  • the sole trader is not the stated applicant of the State nomination application; and

  • the employment contract meets all the State's employment contract requirements.

View the Employment contracts and Independent contractors information
available on the Fair Work Ombudsman or Austrade website


Q: I have been requested to provide evidence that demonstrates I am being paid minimum salary for my specified nominated occupation. What evidence should I provide?

WA Migration Services will consider evidence that demonstrates the stated salary was determined in accordance with:

  • a relevant industrial award; or

  • relevant enterprise agreement.

The evidence provided must clearly specify the relevant salary level, occupation and entitlements that apply to your employment contract.

Q: Is my chosen Western Australian educational institution accredited, meaning I can use study and/or qualifications completed at that institution towards meeting the Western Australian study requirement?

To be considered an accredited university or higher education provider, it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

Current approved universities with a Western Australian campus are:

  • Central Queensland University;

  • Curtin University;

  • Edith Cowan University;

  • Murdoch University;

  • Southern Cross University;

  • University of Notre Dame Australia; and

  • University of Western Australia.

To be considered an accredited VET provider it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

To be considered an accredited provider of English language programs, it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

Your expression of interest must include the suburb and post code of your Western Australian educational institution campus where you completed your study. 

For a list of all currently accredited educational institutions visit the Western Australian accredited educational institutions page.

Q: The accredited Western Australian educational institution where I completed my 2 years of Western Australian study at, is now closed. How will I be able to provide you with supporting evidence?

All students studying in Australia with an Australian training organisation will be able to access their Unique Student Identifier (USI). You will be able to access your Western Australian study results through USI.

Q: What requirements do I need to meet to show work experience for the General stream WASMOL schedule 1?

You must be able to claim at least 5 points for work experience in your expression of interest in SkillSelect. You must have:

  • at least one year of Australian work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation over the last 10 years; or

  • at least three years of overseas work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation over the last 10 years.

Closely related means that the occupation shares the first four digits of the ANZSCO code.
You can only count work experience gained post qualification, in paid employment, where you have worked at least 20 hours per week. 
A professional year or work placement will not be considered for the purposes of State nomination, unless it meets the above requirements.
Further evidence of work experience may be requested during the application process, such as a skills assessment or applicable employment contracts.

Q: What requirements do I need to meet when claiming work experience for the Graduate stream?   

Your Australian work experience must have been: 

  • Gained post-qualification.

  • In paid employment.

  • Within the last five (5) years.

  • For at least 20 hours per week in the specified (or closely related) occupation. Closely related means that the occupation shares the first four digits of the ANZSCO code.

WA Migration Services will only consider experience gained through the Trades Recognition Australia Job Ready Program, when evidence of a 'Job Ready Workplace Assessment (JRWA) outcome', and correlating employment contract or 'Job Ready Final assessment outcome' and correlating employment contract were submitted as part of a WA State Nomination application.
A professional year or work placement will not be considered for the purposes of State nomination, unless it meets the above requirements.
Evidence of work experience, such as a skills assessment, employment contract or payslips may be requested during the State nomination application process. If you are providing payslips, please enter the details into the payslip template and provide this as part of your application.

Q: In my expression of interest in SkillSelect, I have indicated that I am seeking State nomination for either the Skilled Work Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 491) or the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190). If I am eligible for an invitation from Western Australia for both visa subclasses, which will be selected first?

Invitations are issued to those with the highest ranking Expression of Interest, which includes ranking based on highest points score. If you are eligible for an invitation for both visa subclasses, you generally receive an invitation for the subclass 491 visa in the first instance, as you receive more points for State nomination for this visa.


Q: My occupation is on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 1 or schedule 2 or Graduate occupation list and​ listed as 'under review'. Will I be invited to apply for State nomination?

As there are only a few invitations issued for 'under review' occupations, you may not be invited to apply for State nomination.

View the Occupation lists page to keep yourself informed of your occupation's status.

Will I be invited to apply in the future?

If your occupation is listed as 'available' and you meet the relevant criteria, you may be invited to lodge an application for State nomination.    

How will I know when my occupation has been listed as 'available'?

If an occupation becomes available, this information will be published on the Migration WA website.

Q: My occupation is on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 1 or 2 or Graduate occupation list and listed as 'Regional WA only'. How will this affect my application for State nomination?

Candidates nominating for occupations that are designated 'regional Western Australia only' in the General or Graduate stream must provide evidence of a job offer/contract of employment in a location defined by the Commonwealth as Regional Centres and Other Regional Areas. These include the following areas in Western Australia by postcodes: 6041 to 6044, 6084, 6207, 6213, 6215 to 6537, and 6560 to 6770.


Q: I received State nomination from Western Australia. Am I able to relocate to another state or territory though I have not lived in Western Australia for two years?

State nominated visa holders who intend to relocate to another state or territory should email Migration Services​.

You are required to complete and return a short questionnaire stating your reasons for leaving Western Australia.

Following relocation, you are required to advise Migration Services of your new contact details so that you can continue to be included in our post-arrival survey.

Q:​ I live outside Western Australia and one of the requirements for Western Australian State nomination is that I have sufficient funds to cover my settlement costs. How much money do I need to bring and what evidence of funds can I provide?

​To be eligible for State nomination the minimum amount of funds required is:

  • for a single person – $20,000 (AUD);
  • for a couple – $30,000 (AUD); and
  • for every additional dependant –​ $5,000 (AUD).

Evidence that will be considered includes:

  • bank statements;
  • share ownership documents;
  • statements of pensions, leave payments or other entitlements that are cashable when you leave or exit your home country;
  • property  proof of ownership, including title deeds, current mortgage statement or rates notice; formal asset valuation from a licensed valuer or real estate agent;
  • jewellery  formal valuation from a jeweller; and
  • motor vehicles ​ registration papers; any outstanding loan statements; formal valuation such as from an insurance company or licensed car salesperson.

Q: Am I able to provide additional documents for my application while it is being processed?

​Yes. WA Migration Services may also contact associated third parties to verify any information provided.

Q: Am I able to provide additional documents for my application after it has been declined?   

All required documents must be submitted before your application has been finalised. You cannot submit additional documents after your application has been declined.


Q: Am I required to complete the WA Migration Services settlement survey even though I have had my visa granted or been granted Australian citizenship?

Yes. To be granted State nomination, you signed an agreement with the Government of Western Australia and as part of this agreement you agreed to complete a survey every six months for a period of 24 months.


Q: I am having problems lodging my online application. Who do I contact for assistance?

If you are having problems with the online application system you can call WA Migration Services during office hours, Monday to Friday 8.30 am – 4.00 pm (WST) on +61 8 9224 6540 or email the team via the online enquiries page. Please state your name, reference number (if applicable) and the problem you encountered while trying to lodge your application.


Q: What happens if I receive an invitation to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) from the Department of Home Affairs while I have an outstanding application for State nomination?

You are free to apply for the subclass 189 visa.  If you do so, your application for State nomination will be declined, as we are no longer able to assess your application, because the Department of Home Affairs has locked access to your Expression of Interest in the SkillSelect database. The $200 application fee is non-refundable.


Q: I have an occupation that requires licensing or registration before I am permitted to work in Western Australia.  Does a positive skills assessment and State nomination guarantee that I meet the occupational licensing or registration requirements? 

No. Applicants with an occupation requiring licensing or registration are advised to contact the relevant occupational licensing or registering body to verify their suitability for licensing or registration.

Q: If I have been nominated by Western Australia, and then invited to apply for my visa by the Department of Home Affairs, can I re-apply for Western Australian State nomination if that visa application lapses or is declined?

Migration Services may consider re-inviting applicants for WA State nomination. 

Please email WA Migration Services if you would like further information regarding this process.   

​[Published on 5 July 2021]

Request a review of a state nomination application