​​​In Western Australia airconditioning and refrigeration mechanics are required to undertake both airconditioning and refrigeration work, and electrical work, and need two licences:

  • the Refrigerant Handling Licence; and

  • the Refrigeration and Airconditioning Mechanics Licence.

In most circumstances you will need to be employed to apply for a trainee licence and enrol in the Australian context training. If you are not employed, you will need to discuss your situation with the Australian Refrigeration Council and your chosen registered training organisation (RTO).

When you have completed your practical trades skills assessment through Trades Recognition Australia and received your Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR), complete the following steps to get your licences.

  1. Apply for a refrigerant handling trainee licence by submitting your application along with your OTSR and supervisor's declaration to the Australian Refrigeration Council. This will allow you to start working under the supervision of the holder of a full Refrigerant Handling Licence while you complete the Australian context training. 

  2. Enrol to complete the Australian context training (Certificate III in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning) once you have been granted your trainee licence. You can only complete the training with an RTO approved by Energy Skills Australia. Unfortunately there are currently no RTOs approved by Energy Skills Australia in Western Australia and you may need to travel to complete your training. Contact Energy Skills Australia to discuss your situation and for a list of approved RTOs.

  3. Once you have successfully completed the Australian context training and a period of supervised employment you can apply for your Australian qualification. You can take your OTSR along with the certificate for your Australian Context Training to the RTO that conducted your skills assessment.

  4. You can now apply for a full Refrigerant Handling Licence. To apply, visit the Australian Refrigeration Council website and select 'Need to renew / upgrade'.

  5. You can also apply for the Refrigeration and Airconditioning Mechanics Licence. You may be required to undertake further training for this. Contact Energy Safety for further information.

For further information on the licensing of airconditioning and refrigeration mechanics in other Australian states and territories visit the Licence Recognition website.