Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Here you can browse through our most frequently asked questions about skilled migration to Western Australia.

If you're looking for something specific, you can use the keyword search below or select from a category.

Couple watching the ocean from a cliff

The OQU assess post-secondary qualifications including: 

  • Formal technical and vocational qualifications (comparable to an Australian Certificate IV and above); and
  • Formal higher education qualifications (bachel​or degree and above). 
Overseas Qualification Unit

​ The OQU is not able to assess the following.

  • For recognition of overseas apprenticeships or trade qualifications you will need to contact the WA Apprenticeship Office or a registered training organisation such as a WA TAFE college
  • Qualifications for migration purposes – If you are applying for a visa and need a skills assessment, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website(opens in a new tab)
  • Secondary school qualifications – To have you secondary school certificates assessed visit the School Curriculum and Standards Authority website(opens in a new tab)
  • Incomplete qualifications and/or short courses (less than one year full time study) and single subject certificates
  • Professional registration or memberships, work experience
  • Australian qualifications 

For occupational registration, licensing or professional memberships, clients need to make their own investigation and seek advice from a relevant industry or licensing body

Overseas Qualification Unit

The Overseas Qualifications Unit is unable to assess overseas qualifications for migration purposes.

If you are applying for a visa and need a skills assessment, visit the Department of Home Affairs website(opens in a new tab).

Overseas Qualification Unit

Yes, in some cases.

If you are unable to supply your award certificate / academic transcripts you will need to provide a signed statutory declaration, and include the following information.

  • The qualification awarded
  • Year awarded
  • The number of years of study
  • Whether the study was taken full time or part time
  • Why you are unable to provide the original document
Download a statutory declaration form(opens in a new tab)

This will be included as part of your application, and will be considered by Overseas Qualification Unit as a part of your assessment.

Overseas Qualification Unit

Overseas trade and apprenticeship qualifications are unable to be assessed by the Overseas Qualifications Unit.

Assessments can only be undertaken through a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process called Trade Skills Recognition (TSR) at approved registered training organisations such as TAFE. TSR is often required for licensing in Western Australia. Please note, fees may apply. If you require TSR, you will need to contact an approved RTO, or contact the Trade Skills Recognition area at the Apprenticeship Office to discuss your needs. 

Please visit the Apprenticeship Office website(opens in a new tab) for more information regarding TSR and to find the approved list of registered training organisations.

Trade certificate 

Once you have completed TSR, you may be eligible to have a separate trade certificate issued. Trade certificates are recognised and sought after by many employers in WA.

A trade certificates may be issued by the Apprenticeship Office within the WA Department of Training and Workforce Development (the Department) to individuals who have achieved an apprenticeship qualification if the individual has:

  • completed the qualification via a training contract registered in Western Australia;
  • met the Department’s TSR requirements; or
  • completed a qualification that is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) in an Australian state or territory other than WA. The qualification must be equivalent to a qualification on the Classification of prescribed vocational education and training qualifications in WA with the title of apprentice, and must have been achieved through an employment-based training arrangement.

For more information regarding TSR and Trade Certificates, please visit the Apprenticeship Office website at in a new tab).

Licensed occupations and mutual recognition
If you hold a current trade licence from New Zealand or interstate, you may be eligible to have it recognised locally through the Mutual Recognition Act 1992(opens in a new tab)  or the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997(opens in a new tab) .

For more information on industry regulations, licensing and registration, please visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website(opens in a new tab).

Overseas Qualification Unit

Yes, you can apply on behalf of another person. However, the person authorising you to act as their agent must complete the Third party authorisation form below.

You must attach the signed and completed Third party authorisation form when you lodge the application.

Download the Third party authorisation form here(PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 143 KB]

Overseas Qualification Unit

Unfortunately the OQU service is only available for residents currently in Western Australia. If you are living overseas, you can get your qualification assessed by the Australian Government Department of Education. 

Please visit the DOE website for more information.(opens in a new tab) 

Overseas Qualification Unit

Yes, our Information for employers – Assessment of overseas qualifications fact sheet outlines the value of your assessment outcome and can be shown to your existing or potential employer. 

Download the fact sheet here(PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 182 KB] 

Your employer can also contact us to confirm the validity of your overseas qualification assessment if you provide them with a completed Consent to release form, available below.

Download the Consent to release form here(PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 144 KB]

Overseas Qualification Unit

Yes, employers can confirm the validity of an overseas qualification assessment.

The applicant must provide you with a completed Consent to release form (available below), that you can email to us via in a new tab).

We can then confirm the validity of the applicant's overseas qualification assessment.

Download the Consent to release form here(PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 144 KB]


Overseas Qualification Unit

You can ask for a review.

Please email the Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) at​u​(opens in a new tab), making sure you include your contact details and reference number, and state why you disagree with your assessment outcome.

Your assessment will be reviewed and you will be advised of the outcome. 

Overseas Qualification Unit

A certified copy is a photocopied document that has been checked by a recognised, independent person who confirms that it is a true copy of the original document. To have your documents certified, you will need to take a photocopy (along with the original document), and have each page signed to confirm that it is a true copy of the original.

Each page must be certified, and must show:

  • the words “certified true copy of the original”; 
  • the signature of the certifying officer; 
  • the name, address, contact telephone number, and designation of the certifying officer legibly printed below the signature; and 
  • an official stamp (where possible). 

Please note that OQU must be able to contact the certifying person if needed. 

Overseas Qualification Unit

In Western Australia, the following people can witness and certify copies of documents.

Australian consular officer  Australian diplomatic officer Bailiff
Bank manager Chartered secretary Chemist
Chiropractor​ Company auditor or liquidator Court officer (judge, magistrate, registrar or clerk) 
Defence force officer (Commissione​d, Warrant or NCO with five years continuous Commonwealth service) Dentist Doctor
Electorate officer (State – WA only) Engineer Industrial organisation secretary
Insurance broker Justice of the Peace (any state) Lawyer
Local government CEO or deputy CEO Local government councillor Loss adjuster
Marriage celebrant Member of Parliament (State or Commonwealth) Minister of religion
Nurse Optometrist Patent attorney 
Physiotherapist​  Podiatrist Police officer
​Post officer manager Psychologist Public servant (State or Commonwealth) 
Public notary  Real estate agent Settlement agent
Sheriff or deputy sheriff  Surveyor Teacher​ 
Tribunal officer Veterinary surgeon​  

No person under the age of 18 is allowed to be a witness.​

Overseas Qualification Unit

To have your copies certified outside of Australia, you may approach:

  • ​the awarding institution; 
  • any consulate; 
  • the Australian Education International (AEI) Section at the Australian Diplomatic Mission; or
  • the Ministry of Justice.
Overseas Qualification Unit

All translations must be carried out by an accredited translator to be accepted.

Overseas Qualification Unit

People settling permanently in Australia can have up to ten eligible documents translated into English free of charge, within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date.   

To find out more information about the service, check your eligibility or start an online application, visit the Free Translating Service website(opens in a new tab) run by the Department of Home Affairs.

If you are not eligible for the free service, you can find an accredited translator in your area on the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters website(opens in a new tab).

Overseas Qualification Unit

Translations must be provided on the organisation’s letterhead with an official stamp and the translator’s signature with their name and contact numbers legibly printed for contact by the OQU if necessary. Acceptable organisations are:

  • the awarding institution; or 
  • ​accredited translators in the country concerned.
Overseas Qualification Unit

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)​(opens in a new tab) is an online facility developed by the Department of Home Affairs where organisations can confirm a person’s visa entitlements without having to refer to the visa grant letter or label in their passport.​​

If you have an electronic visa, you can give the OQU permission to access your visa details on VEVO. 

Overseas Qualification Unit

This is a free service available to Western Australian residents.

Overseas Qualification Unit

Yes. If you receive an invitation to apply for State nomination and you are affected by a Section 48 bar, you can proceed with an application.

State Nominated Migration Program

If your expression of interest (EOI) is amended during the application process, resulting in a reduction of your points score and/or ranking, evidence must be provided to substantiate the points claimed in your EOI.

State Nominated Migration Program

If, due to COVID-19, you were required to complete some of your studies online, you will need to show evidence that you were still enrolled as an onshore Western Australian student during this period.

State Nominated Migration Program

You may be eligible for the graduate stream if you gained a Certificate III level or above VET qualification in Western Australia and have completed two years study in Western Australia at an accredited Western Australian educational institution.

For further details, view our Graduate stream requirements information

State Nominated Migration Program

You will need to provide the following:

  • award certificate/s;
  • a record of your results, such as transcript/s or a statement of attainment showing two years full time study in Western Australia; and
  • a letter from your education provider confirming your study duration, study load, and your start and completion date. If you studied at multiple education providers to fulfil the two year study requirement, a letter must be provided from each education provider.

If you were studying under an Australian student visa, you will also need to provide:

  • confirmation of enrolment/s (COEs) and/or student visa grant notice for the duration of your two years of Western Australian study; and
  • if any study from your full-time course was completed at a reduced study load, evidence demonstrating this was approved by your awarding education provider. Study completed at a reduced study load due to credits for study completed outside of Western Australia is not eligible.

The education provider determines whether a course is full time or part time. The onus is on the applicant to provide evidence to show two years of living and studying in Western Australia.

State Nominated Migration Program

We can provide you with information about the State nomination application process and criteria, but we cannot help you with your application or provide migration advice.

To find a registered migration agent, visit the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) website(opens in a new tab).​

State Nominated Migration Program

The processing time is for a 'decision ready' application. Decision ready means that you have provided all the documentation required for WA Migration Services to complete an assessment.

If WA Migration Services asks for more information, then your application is not decision ready until all information is provided. This may delay the processing of your application.

Once your application is decision ready, it will be assessed and a final outcome will be issued within the advertised processing time.

State Nominated Migration Program

You will need to provide a scanned copy of your employment contract when you lodge your State nomination application. It must be for full time employment in your nominated (or closely related) occupation for the required duration. If applicable through the General stream, the contract must be for at least six (6) months.

Full time employment is an average of at least 35 hours per week and you can provide two contracts to meet this requirement.

The contract must include:

  1. full names of ​both the employer and the employee;
  2. job title and related ANZSCO code;
  3. contract start date and end date (if permanent, only start date is required). It must state either 'full time permanency' or 'full time fixed term contract' with an end date. The start date must be within three months of your application date, if you have not yet started working;
  4. job description of the work to be performed by the employee;
  5. the terms and conditions of employment (include the position's salary, hours of work, leave entitlements, superannuation, among other things) that are no less favourable than those that would apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident doing equivalent work;
  6. location of employment;
  7. a statement that the work specified in the employment contract must be perform​ed by the employee and not contracted out to a third party;
  8. a signed and dated employment contract by the employer and employee and provided as one document; and
  9. must be drafted by the employer and not by the employee.
State Nominated Migration Program

You will need a contract of full time employment in Western Australia with a minimum of six months remaining on your contract at the time you apply for State nomination. This contract must be in your nominated (or closely related) occupation. 

For example, if you apply for State nomination through the General stream (and require a six month contract) on 1 January 2023, your employment contract end date must not be before 1 July 2023

State Nominated Migration Program

The employment contract must show an agreement between the employer and employee and set out the terms and conditions of employment. Factors taken into consideration may include: 

  • a minimum salary is being paid;
  • the business employing you is genuine and operational in the location specified;
  • the job will be completed by you and not contracted out to a third party; and
  • as the employee you will bear no financial risk and be provided with the relevant tools and equipment to successfully undertake the tasks required.

Employment contracts submitted by an Independent contractor or those which demonstrate self employment do not meet the above requirements and are not suitable to be submitted when applying for WA State nomination.

Employment contracts submitted by a sole trader will be considered in the following circumstances only:

  • the sole trader is not the stated applicant of the State nomination application; and
  • the employment contract meets all the State's employment contract requirements.

View the Employment contracts(opens in a new tab) and Independent contractors(opens in a new tab) information available on the Fair Work Ombudsman or Austrade website(opens in a new tab)

State Nominated Migration Program

WA Migration Services will consider evidence that demonstrates the stated salary was determined in accordance with:

  • a relevant industrial award; or
  • relevant enterprise agreement.

The evidence provided must clearly specify the relevant salary level, occupation and entitlements that apply to your employment contract.

State Nominated Migration Program

To be considered an accredited university or higher education provider, it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

Current approved universities with a Western Australian campus are:

  • Central Queensland University;
  • Curtin University;
  • Edith Cowan University;
  • Murdoch University;
  • Southern Cross University;
  • University of Notre Dame Australia; and
  • University of Western Australia.

To be considered an accredited VET provider it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

To be considered an accredited provider of English language programs, it must have met the below requirements at the time of your studies:

Your expression of interest must include the suburb and post code of your Western Australian educational institution campus where you completed your study. 

For a list of all currently accredited educational institutions please view the information about SNMP eligibility requirements here


State Nominated Migration Program

All students studying in Australia with an Australian training organisation will be able to access their Unique Student Identifier (USI)(opens in a new tab)

You will be able to access your WA study results through USI.

State Nominated Migration Program

You must have:

  • at least one year of Australian work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation over the last 10 years; or
  • at least one year of overseas work experience in the nominated (or closely related) occupation over the last 10 years.

Closely related means that the occupation shares the first four digits of the ANZSCO code.
You can only count work experience gained post qualification, in paid employment, where you have worked at least 20 hours per week. 

A professional year or work placement will not be considered for the purposes of State nomination, unless it meets the above requirements.
Further evidence of work experience may be requested during the application process, such as a skills assessment, employment contract or payslips may be requested during the State nomination application process.

If you are providing payslips, please enter the details into the payslip template (PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 1 MB]and provide this as part of your application. 

State Nominated Migration Program

Invitations are issued to those with the highest ranking expression of interest, which includes ranking based on highest points score.

If you are eligible for an invitation for both visa subclasses, you generally receive an invitation for the subclass 491 visa in the first instance, as you receive more points for State nomination for this visa.

State Nominated Migration Program

As there are only a few invitations issued for 'under review' occupations, you may not be invited to apply for State nomination.

To keep yourself informed of your occupation's status, visit our WA State nomination page

State Nominated Migration Program

If your occupation is listed as 'available' and you meet the relevant criteria, you may be invited to lodge an application for State nomination.    

State Nominated Migration Program

If an occupation becomes available, this information will be published on the Migration WA website

State Nominated Migration Program

State nominated visa holders who intend to relocate to another state or territory should email WA Migration Services​.

You are required to complete and return a short questionnaire stating your reasons for leaving Western Australia.

Following relocation, you are required to advise WA Migration Services of your new contact details so that you can continue to be included in our post-arrival survey.

State Nominated Migration Program

All required documents must be submitted before your application has been finalised. You cannot submit additional documents after your application has been declined.

State Nominated Migration Program

Yes. To be granted State nomination, you signed an agreement with the Government of Western Australia and as part of this agreement you agreed to complete a survey every six months for a period of 24 months.

State Nominated Migration Program

If you are having problems with the online application system you can call WA Migration Services during office hours, Monday to Friday 8.30 am – 4.00 pm (WST).

Our contact details are here

Please state your name, reference number (if applicable) and the problem you encountered while trying to lodge your application.
State Nominated Migration Program

You are free to apply for the subclass 189 visa. 

If you do so, your application for State nomination will be declined, as we are no longer able to assess your application, because the Department of Home Affairs has locked access to your expression of interest in the SkillSelect database.

Please note that the $200 application fee is non-refundable for applications lodged before 1 July 2022.

State Nominated Migration Program

No. Applicants with an occupation requiring licensing or registration are advised to contact the relevant occupational licensing or registering body to verify their suitability for licensing or registration.

Further information is available on our State nomination page

State Nominated Migration Program

WA Migration Services may consider re-inviting applicants for WA State nomination. 

Please email WA Migration Services(opens in a new tab) if you would like further information regarding this process. 
State Nominated Migration Program

You should refer to the:

Certification for Regional visas

Migration agents must include their full contact details in applications for nomination certification. WA Migration Services are unable to discuss the details of an application with agents who are not listed on an application.

An email address is not sufficient, full contact details are required.

Certification for Regional visas

No. Once the assessment is complete, WA Migration Services is unable to change the Form 1404.

Certification for Regional visas

Applications for certification advice are assessed in order of receipt.

Our standard processing time for Regional Certifying Body (RCB) applications is five working days once all documentation is received.

Certification for Regional visas

It is a state requirement that the employment contract confirms a minimum of two years.

Please provide an additional statement, confirming the employee will be employed for a minimum of two years.

Certification for Regional visas