Skip to main content

G’day from Western Australia

It’s great that you’re thinking about moving to Western Australia (WA). Our unique landscape and renowned lifestyle are unparalleled!

Preparation and research are the key to successful settlement, and that's where we can help.

We have collected some information to help you research our amazing state and learn more about the accommodation, lifestyle, services and employment opportunities available to you and your family.

Happy couple on a WA beach

Documents and immigration

Accommodation and housing

Choosing where to live in WA is an exciting prospect and you’ll need to pick the option that is best for you. 

For market information and to find out what’s happening currently in the property market in Perth and regional WA – including prices on specific suburbs and regional areas, advice on purchasing property, and properties for sale or rent – visit the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA) website(opens in a new tab).

You’ll be able to view key facts about the suburbs, such as how close they are to schools, public transport and shopping centres, so that you can make an informed decision about what’s best for you and your family when you settle in WA.

Pictured: An aerial view of a coastal suburb north of Perth.

An aerial view of a coastal suburb north of Perth


There are many short-term hotel/motel accommodation options in Perth and/or regional WA ranging from three star hotels to five star resorts. 

Contact the Western Australian Visitor Centre(opens in a new tab)​ for more information.

T: 1800 812 808 (within Australia) or +61 8 9483 1111 (outside Australia)
W:​(opens in a new tab)


Apartments and townhouses can be rented for short-term or long-term periods. Many are fully furnished and include linen, towels, crockery, cutlery and cooking equipment. In some cases, a daily or weekly cleaning service may be provided. A simple internet search for ‘WA apartments or townhouses for rent’ will provide you with a list of rental websites.

WA offers both fully furnished and unfurnished rental properties with a variety of housing options — large family homes, townhouses, apartments, duplexes and villas. Properties for rent are usually let through a real estate agent or private landlord. They are usually advertised in the “To Let” section of The West Australian and The Sunday Times newspapers or on real estate websites such as the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia (REIWA)(opens in a new tab). You can arrange to inspect a property before you make the decision to make a rental application. 

To secure a property, you will pay a security bond  usually a refundable deposit of four weeks' rent  plus two weeks' rent in advance. For information on the documents you need to be able to secure a rental property, visit the frequently asked questions page of the REIWA website(opens in a new tab) and select 'Renting residential property'.

The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety website(opens in a new tab) provides information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Three information videos about renting a home(opens in a new tab) are available (in several languages) for viewing.

Circle Green Community Legal is a not for profit agency that provides free legal services to residential tenants across WA. View their Making an appli​cation for a rental property(opens in a new tab) publication for some valuable information.​

Most properties in WA are on freehold land and are generally sold through an offer and acceptance process. There is a trend currently towards buying and selling homes by auction, particularly high-end or luxury housing. Properties are advertised for sale and are generally open for public inspection on weekends or by appointment during the week. Landgate, WA's official register of land ownership and survey information, has property sales reports on their website which can help you monitor market trends(opens in a new tab).

Permanent residents may be eligible for the Western Australian Government First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) which provides up to $10,000 towards the purchase of your first home in Australia. The grant is not subject to a means test; however, you or your partner cannot have previously owned a home in Australia. For more information and to find out if you qualify, visit the Western Australian Government website(opens in a new tab)​. Holders of temporary residency visas who want to buy residential property in Australia need approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board(opens in a new tab).

Where to find property for sale

  • The Real Estate Institute of WA (REIWA) website(opens in a new tab)​ lists thousands of properties for sale and has advanced search facilities and features
  • Major newspapers, including The West Australian – the Saturday edition real estate lift-out; The Sunday Times – the real estate lift-out; and community newspapers, or property magazines available from most real estate agencies
  • A general internet search

For rental properties

If you rent a property, you may wish to insure the contents of your home. 

The landlord of the property is responsible for insuring the structure of the property, but you have responsibility for insuring your own belongings within it.

For home owners

If you buy a property, you may wish to insure both home and contents which will (depending on your selected cover) insure both the structure of the property itself as well as the contents within it. ​

Mobile number transfer

There are three options for ‘transferring’ your mobile telephone for use in Australia.

International roaming

Normally for short term use, where you continue to make payments with your existing service provider and retain your mobile telephone number. Ensure that you take note of the charges associated with international roaming as they can be quite expensive per telephone call, SMS and message retrieval. Speak to your service provider for details.

New connection

You can set up an account and connect to one of the many service providers in Australia. You may be able to use your existing mobile telephone or buy a new one, either outright or through a plan. A new connection will most likely require a new mobile telephone number. You can apply for a business package if the mobile telephone will be used for your business; however, you will need an Australian Business Number (ABN), an Australian Company Number (ACN) or an Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN) to apply.

Visit the Australian Business Register website(opens in a new tab)​ for more information.


Most service providers have a pre-paid service where you can "pay as you go"​ with no contracts or long-term commitments. A simple internet search for ‘Australian mobile service providers' will provide you with details of numerous organisations.