Skip to main content

Certification for Regional visas

Skilled migration is a fantastic option to build your workforce, for now and into the future.

The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494) (opens in a new tab)(SESR) allows WA businesses to sponsor skilled migrants to fill positions that cannot be filled locally, through the Employer Sponsored stream.

If you are a WA employer seeking to sponsor a migrant through this visa pathway, you will need to lodge an application with WA Migration Services for Regional Certifying Body (RCB) advice(opens in a new tab).

A WA winery and restaurant

Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa

Ladies at a WA regional winery

The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)(opens in a new tab) (SESR) is a Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs) visa that allows employers in regional Australia to sponsor (nominate) skilled migrants to fill employment vacancies, where the employer cannot source an appropriately skilled Australian worker. 

You must meet all the eligibility criteria listed on the Home Affairs website(opens in a new tab), located under the 'For Sponsors' section, which includes becoming a Standard Business Sponsor. If you aren't a sponsor already, find out how to apply to become a standard business sponsor(opens in a new tab).

Finding workers to fill your vacancies

You can easily connect with migrants who match your vacancy needs by registering via the Migration WA Portal to join the Skilled Migrant Employment Register.

Visit the Employers build your workforce page(opens in a new tab) for more information about available support, visa pathways, finding skilled workers and other considerations.

Skilled migrants seeking employment in WA

If you are a skilled migrant, you can connect with current WA job vacancies by registering via the Migration WA Portal to be a part of the Skilled Migrant Employment Register.

Visit the Working in Western Australia page(opens in a new tab) for more information about finding employment, your rights in the workplace and support services.

Regional Certifying Body advice

To provide advice on SESR applications for the Employer Sponsored stream, RCBs must be approved by Home Affairs and located in the same State where the nominated position exists.

The Department of Training and Workforce Development, through WA Migration Services is an approved Home Affairs RCB for all of WA, except the Goldfields-Esperance region (who apply to Regional Development Australia for RCB advice(opens in a new tab)).

Regional Certifying Body advice requirements

Applications for RCB advice must demonstrate the following criteria and the RCB must be satisfied that:

  Current processing time is 20 working days

A barista at work

How to apply for Regional Certifying Body advice

To lodge an application with WA Migration Services, you need to complete the following steps:

RCB advice - How to apply

Review the SESR checklist for assessment(opens in a new tab) so that you can start to prepare the information and documents required for your application.

All documents should be high quality colour copies of the original.

You must upload the required supporting documents (as specified in the SESR checklist for assessment(opens in a new tab)) when you lodge your application.


Complete an application for RCB advice via the button below.

This is where you will submit your supporting documents including the Form 1404(opens in a new tab), details of the nomination, employment contract/offer and additional evidence.

To complete the application, you will have to pay a $200 application fee. 

WA Migration Services may request further information to support the assessment of your application.

Once the assessment has been completed, you will receive an email with notification of the RCB advice and your signed Form 1404, which you will need when you nominate your skilled worker with Home Affairs.



For a step-by-step guide to nominating a skilled worker visit the Home Affairs website(opens in a new tab).

If your nomination is approved by Home Affairs, your skilled worker can lodge their visa application.

Frequently asked questions

You should refer to the:

Certification for Regional visas

Migration agents must include their full contact details in applications for nomination certification. WA Migration Services are unable to discuss the details of an application with agents who are not listed on an application.

An email address is not sufficient, full contact details are required.

Certification for Regional visas

No. Once the assessment is complete, WA Migration Services is unable to change the Form 1404.

Certification for Regional visas

Applications for certification advice are assessed in order of receipt.

Our standard processing time for Regional Certifying Body (RCB) applications is five working days once all documentation is received.

Certification for Regional visas

It is a state requirement that the employment contract confirms a minimum of two years.

Please provide an additional statement, confirming the employee will be employed for a minimum of two years.

Certification for Regional visas