Skip to main content

English language support

Improving your English can help you to settle and secure employment in Western Australia (WA). 

Programs and services

Here we have provided some information about a number of free English support services and other options available to assist and support you through your settlement in WA.

To support eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants, the Commonwealth government offers the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) to assist with functional English skills. Unlimited free English Language classes are now available through AMEP.

Eligibility requirements can be found on the Department of Home affairs website(opens in a new tab), as well as a list of the AMEP providers in WA(opens in a new tab)In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia:

  • register with an AMEP service provider within six months;
  • commence your classes within 12 months; and
  • complete your classes within five years.        

This specialist service offers free career and training advice to people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CaLD) backgrounds. Services are available face to face, online or over the phone. 

MercyCare Mirrabooka                                   
4 Brewer Place, Mirrabooka
P: 08 6298 9888

MercyCare Cannington
1/6 Cecil Avenue, Cannington 6107
P: 08 6298 9800

Visit the Jobs and Skills WA website for further information(opens in a new tab)

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is a national interpreting service for people who do not speak English and want to access services and information in Australia. Generally, this service is free to non-English speakers, as the organisation you wish to contact will accept the charges. 

​A telephone interpreting service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  You can also pre‑book a phone interpreter or book a face to face appointment.

For more information visit the TIS national website(opens in a new tab).

Free translating service

If any of your personal documents are not written in English, you will need to have summaries/extracts of them translated into English. People settling permanently in Australia can have up to ten eligible documents translated into English, within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date.

To find out more information about the service, check your eligibility or start an online application, visit the Free Translating Service website(opens in a new tab) run by the Department of Home Affairs.

Paid translation service

If you are not eligible for the free service above or you have other documents that need to be translated, the NAATI online directory(opens in a new tab) lists certified and recognised translators or interpreters. For more information, you can also access the guide to finding a translator or interpreter(PDF document - opens in a new tab)[PDF 437 KB]

NAATI does not provide direct translating and interpreting services.

The local Perth office is at:

Level 1, 49 Oxford Close
West Leederville WA 6007 

T: 1300 557 470
W: (opens in a new tab) 

Office hours are from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm Monday to Friday.

The Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) program gives eligible people up to 800 hours of free training to help improve their reading, writing and mathematics skills. 

Visit the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website(opens in a new tab) for more information.

A group of people studying together

Community-based support

In addition to specialist support services and programs, you can also find English language support in your local community.